Provost’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
Nomination Deadline: Wednesday, October 26, 2022
- Criteria and Eligibility
- Recognition and Award
- Nomination and Submission Guidelines
- Nomination Form
- Administrative Advisory Committee
- Previous Recipients
The Provost’s Award for Excellence in Teaching is the most prestigious award for exceptional teaching given to professional full-time faculty from among NC State’s 10 colleges and the University College. The award was established in 2021 to underscore the importance of teaching and to encourage, identify, recognize, reward, and support teaching within the university.
Criteria and Eligibility
To be considered for the Provost’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, the nominee:
- Is a full-time professional (formerly known at NC State as “non-tenure-track”) faculty member in all tracks
- lecturer, teaching, research, clinical, extension and practice tracks as well as field faculty
- Is a recipient of the Outstanding Teacher Award
- Has taught at NC State for no less than 7 years
- Is teaching in the academic year of nomination
*Note: Tenure-track and tenured faculty are ineligible for nomination
One award recipient will be selected from among the nominees submitted by participating colleges.
Award and Recognition
The university recipient is awarded a cash prize of $12,500. Each college nominee receives a cash award of $650. The award recipient and college nominees are honored at the University Teaching Awards Luncheon and Ceremony. The university recipient is further recognized at the Celebration of Faculty Excellence. The recipient and nominees are publicized in NC State media.
A nomination may be resubmitted for the next award cycle if the nominee has not been selected as a recipient of this award. Renominations are not automatic. They must be resubmitted with updates that reflect the current year of nomination, confirmation of continued support from the writers of support letters, and any information regarding awards, accolades, projects, publications, or other activities completed after the submission of last year’s nominations.
Nomination and Submission Guidelines
Nomination Submission Deadline
Wednesday, October 26, 2022
One nominee per college will be accepted.
Nomination Package Required Contents
- Completed Provost’s Award for Excellence in Teaching nomination form, with appropriate signatures affixed
- Current curriculum vitae or resume. Limit 25 pages
- Brief statement articulating the candidate’s teaching philosophy. Limit 4 pages
- Samples of course materials such as excerpts from syllabi, assignments, projects, exams, student portfolios, or other evidence of student learning outcomes. Limit 15 pages
- Documentation of teaching-related activities such as the following. Limit 4 pages
- Leadership related to teaching and learning
- Continuing professional development (workshops, institutes, etc.)
- Scholarship of teaching, advising and/or mentoring (campus or other presentations, publications, etc.)
f. Class Evaluations
NOTE: The following modified required documentation is a temporary measure as we navigate the award processes during these unusual times. The goal is to offer nominees some flexibility while also providing the teaching award advisory committee some perspective on pre-pandemic teaching evals and pandemic open-ended student comments.
- Select 2 from among pre-pandemic and post-pandemic semester tabulations of student evaluation ratings as well as departmental average and range (if available) and student comments. Choose from spring 2019, fall 2019, spring 2022. Limit 3 pages
- Select 2 from pandemic semesters: provide open-ended student comments. Choose from spring 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021, fall 2021. Limit 2 pages
Note: Submission of 2 pandemic semester open-ended student comments is optional.
g. Summaries of two recent peer evaluations. Limit 4 pages
h. Letters of support from two peers. Limit 1 page for each letter
i. Letters of support from two students. Limit 1 page for each letter
j. 500-word professional bio
k. One jpg file of a color photograph suitable for publication
Nomination Package Submission Process
- Submit separate PDF files for the nomination components listed above.
- Please submit all PDF files comprising each submission package at the same time.
- Submit nominations by email attachment or upload to Google Drive to Awards and Events Coordinator Judy Austin at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, October 26, 2022
NOTE: Each college determines its own deadline for submissions to its college-level review committee to allow time for review and submission to the university-level review committee. Contact your college’s Associate Dean for Academic Affairs for the college review committee schedule.
Administrative Advisory Committee
The Provost’s Award for Excellence in Teaching Administrative Advisory Committee members include:
- One representative who is a recipient of the Outstanding Teacher Award from each of the 10 degree-granting colleges and University College. Committee members will be appointed by the provost upon the recommendation of their respective deans.
- Chair of the Committee on the Evaluation of Teaching
- One student representative from the Committee on the Evaluation of Teaching
- Chair of the Faculty or a Faculty Senate designee
- President of the Graduate Student Association or a GSA designee
- President of the Student Body or Student Government designee
The Provost’s Award for Excellence in Teaching Administrative Advisory Committee will meet on:
Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 10 – 11 a.m. via Zoom