Details for the 2016-17 Academic Year
The University Faculty Scholars Program, established in 2012 by Chancellor Woodson to recognize and reward emerging academic leaders among our faculty, identifies approximately twenty (20) tenured or tenure-track faculty scholars each year. Faculty members selected as University Faculty Scholars will carry the title for a five-year period and receive a $10,000 annual supplement that may be used for supplemental salary and benefits or programmatic support.
Nominations are limited to assistant professors who have been reappointed for a second term, all associate professors, and professors within the first three years of appointment at that rank. Faculty members who were nominated but not named University Faculty Scholars in previous years and are still eligible may be nominated by their college. However, no faculty member may receive the five year award more than once.
To be eligible for consideration, outstanding faculty should be nominated by their college. See links to individual college nominating procedures in yellow box at right for additional details.
The number of nominations for each college has been set, based on the number of tenured and tenure-track faculty FTEs in that college. The provost’s Administrative Advisory Committee composed of senior faculty recommended by each college will review nominations and make recommendations to the provost. The provost will make the final decision on awardees in consultation with the chancellor. No college will receive a set number of awards in any given year.
If you have questions about the procedures or timeline below, please contact Ms. Judy Austin, University Awards Coordinator, (513-3636; firstname.lastname@example.org).
Timeline for the 2016-17 Academic Year
- Individual nominations due to colleges – varies
- Nominations from colleges due to provost – September 21, 2016
- Organizational meeting of the Administrative Advisory Committee, to include their charge by the provost, determination of a chair, and discussion of review procedures – Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Room 206, Holladay Hall, NC State Campus
- Advisory Committee review of nominations: September 30 – October 28, 2016
- Advisory Committee Nomination Meeting – Monday, October 24, 2016, 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Room 405, Clark Hall, NC State Campus
- Nominees selected by Advisory Committee and sent to provost – By November 1, 2016
- University Faculty Scholars named – Mid-November 2016
- Funds available to University Faculty Scholars – January 1, 2017
Nominations per College for the 2016-17 Academic Year
- College of Agriculture & Life Sciences: 7
- College of Design: 1
- College of Education: 2
- College of Engineering: 7
- College of Humanities & Social Sciences: 7
- College of Natural Resources: 2
- College of Sciences: 7
- College of Textiles: 1
- College of Veterinary Medicine: 3
- Poole College of Management: 2
Significant Achievement Appropriate to Rank in Research/Scholarship, Teaching and/or Extension/Engagement/Service:
(Examples in categories below are not exhaustive)
- Research/Scholarship: Productivity in research, creative activity, external funding, publications and presentations which are relevant to the discipline and recognized locally, nationally and internationally.
- Teaching: Excellence in teaching, course and program improvement, advising, undergraduate and graduate student mentoring, and participation in other activities that enhance the development of students; recognition for teaching at university or national level.
- Extension/Engagement/Service: Leadership in extension, public service, and contributions to professional societies; assistance and advice to industry, business, government and other educational institutions; campus service which has an impact on the institution.
Nominations from the colleges should include the following:
- Current CV and current SME (maximum 25 pages)
- Letter of nomination from a colleague other than the department head addressing the nominee’s qualifications and potential (maximum 2 pages)
- Letter of support from the nominee’s department head (maximum 2 pages)
- Letter from the dean supporting the nomination at the university level (maximum 2 pages)
The letters of support should not only address the nominee’s qualifications but should also provide sufficient information that will help the Provost’s Administrative Advisory Committee evaluate the nominee’s leadership potential in the context of her or his appointment across the realms of responsibility.
University Faculty Scholars Administrative Advisory Committee
|First Name||Last Name||College||Department|
|Jon||Carr||PCOM||Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
|Becky||Boston||CALS||Plant and Microbial Biology|
|Carol||Hall||COE||Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering|
|Larry||Nielsen||CNR||Forestry and Environmental Resources|
|Abdel-Fattah||Seyam||COT||Textile and Apparel Technology and Management|
|Katharine||Stewart||Office of the Provost||Ex-officio|
|Judy||Austin||Office of Faculty Development||Award Coordinator|