|RED| Core Teaching Certification
The Reflective Educational Design |RED| Core Teaching Certification |CTC| is designed to provide support and recognition for faculty members at NC State who are dedicated to reflective teaching and learning. The certification helps faculty members advance toward becoming scholarly teachers.
The RED CTC will:
Provide opportunities for designing, developing and delivering best practices in teaching not necessarily gained during formal training; discuss pedagogical skills and strategies with other faculty outside their home departments ; and support and recognize faculty members who are dedicated to reflective teaching and learning.
- There is no cost for the certification
- Taught 100% asynchronously
- Applications for certification are submitted online and accepted in August each year
- Participants have one year to complete the certification from the time of enrollment
Who is eligible to participate?
Open to all NC State faculty, including professional-track faculty and part-time faculty. Post-docs who have already fully completed the Teaching and Communication Certificate may apply for this certification. (Graduate students – not eligible at this time, but are encouraged to seek out many professional development opportunities offered by the Graduate School).
The application is now open! Apply here.
Once you apply, faculty participants will be notified via University email of their acceptance and provided instructions to register in REPORTER (please do not register until you have that acceptance email).
The certification can be achieved in one semester, with diligence. We encourage faculty participants to succinctly complete all modules and participate in reflective activities. Previous professional learning experiences will not count toward this certification.
- Learn research-based methods for improving their instruction
- Gain a deeper understanding of best practices in higher education pedagogy
- Explore a variety of strategies for assessing student learning
- Reflect on their practices as professoriates
- Develop relationships with other faculty members interested in pedagogy
- Earn a certificate that formally represents the time and effort put into improving his/her/their instruction
Participants will review teaching strategies, discuss ideas and complete activities designed around each of these five essential competencies:
- Reflective Teaching
- Instructional Design
- Assessment of Student Learning
- Student-Centered Teaching
- Assessment of Teaching
In order to fulfill the requirements of the certification, accepted faculty participants must submit all checklists items and participate in discussions.
“The program really helped me to become a better teacher. It was very helpful for the creation of my first elective course. Thanks to the program, I improved in writing learning outcomes, in designing lectures, assessment and how to organize my course and receive feedback. I discovered what really means be a reflective teacher and how to apply it. In my career, I have been mainly a ‘researcher’ more than a ‘teacher’ and now I think I have learned how to be both.” -Elisa Crisci, Assistant Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine
For additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.