Nominations Sought for 2023-24 Faculty Awards
Faculty excellence is at the core of the university’s mission, and is supported through a variety of awards and recognition. Nominations are open for several awards for NC State faculty members.
This information was shared last month with deans and department heads, and we want to share with faculty as well. Specific timelines, criteria, forms, selection processes and recognition for awards managed by the Office for Faculty Excellence are available via go.ncsu.edu/internal-faculty-awards.
- Nominations for the Board of Governors Award for Excellence in Teaching are due by Wednesday, October 11. This prestigious award was established in 1993 to underscore the importance of teaching and to encourage, identify, recognize, reward and support good teaching at the university.
- Nominations for the 2023-24 University Faculty Scholars Program are due by Wednesday, October 18. This program, established in 2012 by Chancellor Randy Woodson, recognizes and rewards emerging academic leaders among NC State’s faculty. Nominations are limited to assistant professors who have been reappointed for a second term, all associate professors, and professors within the first three years of appointment at that rank. Each college has specific nominating procedures with earlier due dates.
- Nominations for the Provost’s Award for Excellence in Teaching are due by Wednesday, October 25. This award is the most prestigious award for exceptional teaching given to professional full-time faculty from among NC State’s 10 colleges and the University College. The award was established in 2021 to underscore the importance of teaching and to encourage, identify, recognize, reward, and support teaching within the university.
- Nominations for the Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal for Excellence are due by Wednesday, November 15. This award, established by the NC State Board of Trustees in 1992 and named for NC State’s first chief executive, recognizes and rewards faculty whose careers demonstrate excellence in achievement and sustained impact in research, teaching, service or extension and engagement. It is NC State’s highest faculty award.
- Nominations for the Outstanding Teacher Award are due by Wednesday, November 29. This award recognizes excellence in teaching at all levels. Faculty must be recognized as an Outstanding Teacher before they can receive the Board of Governors Award for Excellence in Teaching or the Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award.
- Nominations for the Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award are due by Wednesday, December 6. This is one of the most prestigious undergraduate awards given on campus. To be eligible, a nominee must have previously received an Outstanding Teacher Award and have provided distinguished service in support of undergraduate teaching.
- Nominations for The Gertrude Cox Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching and Learning with Technology are due by Wednesday, January 17, 2024. This teaching award was created to honor the creative pedagogy of NC State’s faculty and their work in integrating new technologies into effective teaching strategies. The award was first given in fall 2002 and named for Gertrude Cox, “The First Lady of Statistics,” who came to NC State in 1940 to establish the university’s distinguished Department of Statistics.
For more information about nominations for any of the awards listed, contact Sherry Bailey, internal faculty awards coordinator and faculty affairs support specialist at email@example.com.