An open search for the senior vice provost for university interdisciplinary programs is now underway. As previously announced, Senior Vice Provost for Academic Strategy and Resource Management and Chief of Staff Duane Larick will be retiring effective January 1, 2022 and Senior Vice Provost Tom Miller will be retiring effective July 1, 2022. In light of these changes, and in alignment with Wolfpack 2030: Powering the Extraordinary, the Provost’s Office will be undergoing several organizational changes. This includes the creation of a new position of Senior Vice Provost for University Interdisciplinary Programs.
This position will lead the new Office of University Interdisciplinary Programs, which will include university-level interdisciplinary units and initiatives across NC State’s tri-fold mission of instruction, research and engagement. The senior vice provost will support the creation of and/or partnerships with university-level interdisciplinary programs and oversee the following: academies (Data Science Academy, Genetics and Genomics Academy, and any future academies), the Biotechnology Program, the Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program, the Coastal Resilience and Sustainability Initiative, the Integrative Sciences Building, NC State Entrepreneurship and the Shelton Leadership Center. The senior vice provost will also serve as a liaison to the North Carolina Plant Sciences Initiative.
The senior vice provost for university interdisciplinary programs search nomination committee is chaired by Margery Overton, senior vice provost for institutional strategy and analysis, in the Provost’s Office. The other committee members represent various constituents from across the university, including Faculty Senate, department heads and administration. Committee members are:
- Debbie Acker, Director, Shelton Leadership Center
- Deanna Dannels, Dean, College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Adrian Day, Assistant Vice Provost, Finance and Planning, Provost’s Office
- Genevieve Garland, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Research Operations and Communications, and Chief of Staff, Office of Research and Innovation
- Fred Gould, Executive Director, Genetics and Genomics Academy
- Kim Grainger, Associate Vice Provost, Academic Personnel and Policy, Provost’s Office
- Pierre Gremaud, Associate Dean, The Graduate School
- Bob Kelly, Director, Biotechnology Program
- Meagan Kittle Autry, Teaching Assistant Professor, Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering, and Faculty Senator
- Rachel Levy, Executive Director, Data Science Academy
- Tom Miller, Senior Vice Provost, Entrepreneurship
- Adrian Percy, Executive Director, NC Plant Sciences Initiative
- Josh Pierce, Associate Professor, Chemistry, and Director, Chemistry of Life Program, College of Sciences
- Mark Schmidt, Associate Vice Chancellor, Partnerships
The nomination committee will hold its first meeting Wednesday, December 1, and will continue to work during the fall and spring semesters. Finalist candidate interviews and open forums will be held in late spring 2022. Stay up to date on the search by visiting the search page on the Provost’s Office website or go.ncsu.edu/svp-uip-search.
Executive Search Services in NC State’s Human Resources division will be assisting the nomination committee. Kelly Wick, director of special projects and planning, will be managing the search for the Provost’s Office.
An announcement will be made soon about the appointment of an interim senior vice provost.