GOHA Leadership Spotlight – Debbie Acker

The Global One Health Academy Leadership Team devotes their time and expertise to help the Academy grow and prosper as a One Health leader. We had the chance to interview Debbie Acker, GOHA Co-Lead for Facilitating Change and Director of the Shelton Leadership Center, to learn more about how she helps support the next generation of global leaders.

Where did you go to school and what did you study?

I received my undergraduate degree in Psychology at Longwood University, VA. I got my graduate degree in School Counseling at Syracuse University, NY. And lastly I got my Doctorate in Higher Education Administration at NC State University, NC.

What or who inspired you to pursue this career?

I think all my experiences moved me into the work I have had the opportunity to do over the last 21 plus years. My interests related to education have always centered on serving and equipping others. I explored the study of personality, groups, cognitive development, leadership and forms of leadership and how to make experiences empowering and meaningful, taking into consideration all perspectives and stakeholders.

Debbie in Innsbruck, Austria, supporting students pursuing the Global Leadership Minor.

What do you research?

Theory to practice is the framework. My efforts now focus more on design and less on research. In terms of areas of interest, I would consider cross-cultural experiences, structures of programs and delivery.

What project are you currently working on?

[Through Shelton Leadership Center,] we continue to build out global experiences where students are co-learning cross-culturally in Europe. Right now, I am developing a COIL that will engage with students from Germany for an 8-week class. During the last week, US students will travel to Germany to finish a project presenting recommendations to a local company on a case study they are facing within the organization.

What is your favorite part of the job?

Every day is different, but I always know our efforts are bettering the cultural environment and advancing students in leading. I enjoy working with others by recognizing and appreciating values and strengths people contribute to solving complex global challenges.

Debbie leads a professional training workshop in Germany using virtual reality technology.

What do you view as a critical global challenge in One Health, and how does your research help address it?

Coming from my lens of experience, it is the same as in any other space, shifting mindsets and attitudes toward valuing individual expertise, differences, and fields of study to more holistically educate, learn from our past, embrace the present in order to create a better life for future generations.

What does being a part of the Global One Health Academy mean to you?

For me, it helps me learn about the grand challenges facing society from a position of expertise that is not my strength. It informs me how to serve others as well as equip others to address challenges that I wouldn’t get anywhere else.