D.H. Hill Jr. Library Renovations Take Shape
Construction at D.H. Hill Jr. Library means more than just an aesthetic update — changes will also support the overall success of the campus community.
The most noticeable change will be the new Academic Success Center, a partnership between the NC State University Libraries and the Division of Academic and Student Affairs. The center will provide on-campus academic support to undergraduate and graduate students, and is scheduled for completion in fall 2020.
The center will also include the following services:
- Peer Tutoring to augment the current one-on-one, or formalized group tutoring by providing drop-in group peer tutoring.
- Writing and Speaking Tutorial Services expands services currently offered by the University Tutorial Center to reach more undergraduate services. Being housed in the library provides the additional advantage for students working on research papers.
- General Academic Coaching can benefit even the brightest students who may struggle with specific academic skills. Through the Center, this coaching will provide all undergraduate students the opportunity to receive one-on-one guidance from peers to enhance note-taking skills, time management and motivation skills, and exam preparation.
- Drop-in evening Advising and Career Counseling provides support for students who are struggling with specific courses, or who need additional advising and career counseling support. With drop-in hours at the new center, students can speak with professionals about academic challenges, choice of majors and careers. The drop-in model encourages students to seek advice early in their process.
Other renovation highlights include:
- Complete renovation of the second and third floors of the bookstacks tower of the Hill Library with a new open stairwell connecting these floors with the Ask Us Lobby.
- A new home for the Office of Undergraduate Research in the Hill Library. The office supports and promotes discovery-, inquiry-, scholarship- and creativity-based opportunities through mentored experiences with NC State faculty and other national and international scholars and professionals.
- New Libraries spaces including the Innovation Studio, an enlarged and upgraded Visualization Studio, and a new Data Experience Lab. The Innovation Studio will offer and demonstrate emerging technologies such as augmented and virtual reality, machine learning, projection mapping, and the Internet of Things. The Visualization Studio will be relocated to the third floor of the North Tower, with capabilities for immersive, 360-degree projection. The Data Experience Lab will be a collaborative, community-oriented space for located on the third floor of the South Tower, and will include reservable workstations with the processing power and software needed for data analysis, digital scholarship and visualization.
The Hillsborough Street entrance to D.H. Hill reopened this spring after nearly 30 years. The library’s Brickyard entrance is closed during construction and will feature an open grand staircase from the ground to first, second and third floors when the renovation is complete.