Division of Academic and Student Affairs* (DASA) Implementation Team Report - Submitted to the Provost on 10/29/11
Provost's Response to Final Report
* Note: The name of the new division was changed from Division of Student Services and Programs (DSSP) to Division of Academic and Student Affairs (DASA). Older documents may still reflect the original planned division name.
In January 2011, Provost Warwick Arden charged John Ambrose, Roger Callanan, Jo-Ann Cohen, Tom Stafford and Lisa Zapata with developing an organizational structure for the merger of the divisions of Student Affairs and Undergraduate Academic Programs (DUAP). The task force was charged as well with looking more broadly at programs and units across the University to identify those programs and units that would be better served within the new division and those that should be “exported” to other units on campus.
The task force recommended in their report that there be four main subdivisions:
- Health, Wellness and Student Development
- The Arts (now renamed Arts NC State)
- Campus Life
- Academic Programs and Services
within the Division of Undergraduate Student Programs (now renamed as the Division of Academic and Student Affairs) and that a number of functions be centralized. The recommendations of the task force report were incorporated into the Strategic Realignment Recommendations delivered to the chancellor in March 2011
In August 2011, Provost Arden announced that the four DASA subdivisions will be led by the following individuals beginning on July 1, 2012:
- Lisa Zapata - Vice Provost, Health, Wellness and Student Development
- Alex Miller - Vice Provost, Arts NC State
- Tim Luckadoo - Vice Provost, Campus Life
- Jose Picart - Vice Provost, Academic Programs and Services
January-February 2011 - Initial task force develops organizational structure for the the merger of the divisions of Student Affairs and Undergraduate Academic Programs at the request of the provost.
March 2011 - Provost delivers Strategic Realignment Recommendations, which incorporate the task force's recommendations, to the chancellor.
April-August 2011 - Small group (Ambrose, Cohen, Stafford) meets to determine the considerations/steps necessary for the successful merger of the two divisions.
Early September 2011 - Executive Subcommittee formed.
Mid September 2011 - Implementation Team and subcommittees formed.
Late October 2011 - The Implementation Team delivers a set of recommendations on the merger implementation processes to the provost.
December 2011 - Provost accepts the Implementation Team's recommendations with modifications.
July 2012 - DASA merger implemented.
Program Moves Completed or Underway
- The University Career Center and NC State Co-op Office were merged as of July 1, 2011.
- The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, the Women's Center, and the GLBT Center moved from the Division of Student Affairs to the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity on July 1, 2011.
- Summer START: This past summer (Summer 2011), Summer START became a joint program between the Division of Undergraduate Academic Programs and the Division of Enrollment Management and Services (EMAS). It will stay as a joint program with Cindy DeLuca remaining in the lead and will migrate to the Academic Programs and Services once it has reached steady state in Summer 2013 or 2014.
- New Student Orientation (and Parents') Orientation: Louis Hunt is working with John Ambrose on the schedule to move New Student Orientation to EMAS (including budget lines). We anticipate that the move will take place early during the fall semester to further enhance the efforts of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Louis will also work with Tom Stafford on the schedule for the move of Parents' Orientation to EMAS.
- John Ambrose* (co-chair) Dean, Division of Undergraduate Academic Programs
- Jo-Ann Cohen* (co-chair) Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
- Tom Stafford* (co-chair) Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs
- Sarah Ash Professor, Food, Bioprocessing and Nutrition Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Roger Callanan Assistant Dean, Undergraduate Academic Programs, Division of Undergraduate Academic Programs
- Bryan Hoynacke President, Graduate Student Association
- Wesley Lo Resident Advisor, University Housing
- Tim Luckadoo* Associate Vice Chancellor, Housing and Greek Life, Division of Student Affairs
- Alex Miller* Associate Vice Chancellor, Arts NC State, Division of Student Affairs
- Tom Miller Senior Vice
Provost, Academic Outreach and Entreprenuership
- José Picart* Special Assistant to the Provost for Outreach and Engagement
- Evelyn Reiman*
Associate Vice Chancellor, Student Activities,
Division of Student Affairs
- Becky Rufty Associate Dean, The Graduate School
- Jon Rust Department Head, Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science, College of Textiles
- Chandler Thompson* Student Body President
- Chris Watts Community Assistant Coordinator, University Housing
- Lisa Zapata* Associate Vice Chancellor, Campus Recreation, PE, ROTC & TRIO, Division of Student Affairs
- Carrie Zelna Director, Office of Assessment, Division of Undergraduate Academic Programs
*Member of Executive Subcommittee
The Implementation Team is in the process of forming subcommittees chaired by members of the Executive Subcommittee. The subcommittees will solicit broad input in developing their initial recommendations. Those recommendations will then be shared with the entire Implementation Team.
- Career Guidance Programs (Picart, Zapata)
Should the new unit be housed under Health, Wellness and Student Development or under Academic Programs and Services?
- PE, Music and ROTC (Miller, Picart, Zapata)
Should these programs remain housed in the subdivisions as currently proposed (Health/Wellness/Student Development, Arts NC State, (Health/Wellness/Student Development, respectively) or should some (or all) move to Academic Programs and Services?
- Disability Services Office (Picart, Zapata)
Should DSO remain housed under Health, Wellness and Student Development or should it move to Academic Programs and Services?
- University Honors and Scholars Programs (Picart, Thompson)
Should there be an umbrella program with two tracks or should the current programs remain independent (and housed together under one administrative home)? Should there be a joint advisory board, even if the programs are not grouped under an umbrella?
- Parents and Families Services and New Student Orientation (Ambrose, Stafford)
Should we move all of Parents and Families Services to EMAS?
- Reporting line for the Academic Standards Coordinator (Ambrose, Picart, Zapata)
Should the Academic Standards Coordinator report to the unit head of Program Review and Administration (assuming that we continue to have such a unit) or to the new Senior Vice Provost and Dean or to the Vice Provost for Academic Programs and Services?
- Centralization of Development (Ambrose, Cohen, Stafford)
Should Development be centralized in the short run?... in the long run?
- Leadership Programs (Luckadoo, Thompson)
How can we best support leadership development of our students?
- Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 10:15-11:15 a.m., Holladay Hall, Chancellor's Conf Rm, Minutes [pdf]
- Monday, September 19, 2011, 8:30-9:30a.m., Holladay Hall, Chancellor's Conf Rm, Minutes [pdf]
- Monday, October 3, 2011, 8-9 a.m., Park Shops, Room 211-D, Minutes [pdf]
- Monday, October 10, 2011, 8:30-9:30 a.m., Holladay Hall, Chancellor's Conf Rm, Minutes [pdf]
- Monday, October 17, 2011, 8:30-9:30 a.m., Holladay Hall, Chancellor's Conf Rm, Minutes [pdf]
- Canceled - Monday, October 24, 2011, 8:30-9:30 a.m., Holladay Hall, Chancellor's Conf Rm
- Section 2: Administrative Consolidation and Realignment - Recommendations for Strategic Realignment to Increase Organizational Efficiency and Effectiveness - March 2011
- Proposal for the Reorganization of the Divisions of Student Affairs and Undergraduate Academic Programs [pdf]
- Provost Arden Announces Structural Changes in the Provost’s Office - 9/02/11
Planning Documents - Division of Student Services and Programs
- Draft Annotated Organizational Chart [docx] (dated 9/25/11)
- DSSP Merger Notes for the Implementation Team [pdf] (dated 9/27/11)